Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Whip It Up Wednesday: Howlin' Good Treats

Happy Hump Day!  I think I'm going to start a new Wednesday series called: Whip It Up Wednesday.  Every Wednesday I will post a recipe that is tried and truly delicious.  Today's recipe is one that I found on Pinterest a couple of weeks ago for my dog's first birthday (you may also find it from its original source here). 

Peanut Butter Puppycakes:
Yield: 6 Puppycakes

You will need:

1/2 c. milk bone crumbs (I used around 8 medium sized ones & used my rolling pin to crush them)
1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 egg
1/4 c. peanut butter
1/4 c. apple sauce (I used cinnamon applesauce, but you can use regular as well)
2 Tbs. honey

For the Frosting:
1/2 c. peanut butter
Food Coloring (You may dye the peanut butter whatever color you'd like your frosting to be)


The How-To:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine the milk bone crumbs, flour, and baking soda.
3. Stir in the egg, peanut butter, apple sauce, and honey.
4. Place 6 cupcake liners in a muffin tin and divide the batter evenly.
5. Bake pupcakes for approximately 18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
6. Cool the pupcakes for a few minutes before frosting (if you don't cool them first, the icing will melt
     all over the place and most likely slide off the top).
7. In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter with the color of dye you wish to use.
8. Using a knife, frost your pupcakes and add some sort of topper if you'd like (I used a single medium-
     sized milk bone on the top of mine).

Here is the end result:



Surprisingly, they looked and smelled like real "human" cupcakes, but were 100% dog safe!  We even made a special place for them on our snack table at his "party."

When it came time to sing, "Happy Birthday" and give Buckeye his birthday treat, he sure didn't waste any time scarfing it down!  Note: If you put quite a bit of peanut butter icing on the top of yours, make sure to have some water near by.  Your dog will thank you! The peanut butter on ours got stuck to the roof of Buckeye's mouth and the faces he made to try and get it off were pretty hysterical.  Giving him water really helped to get every last bit down! :)


Do you have a puppy treat recipe that your dog loves?  Share it with us and maybe we will feature it in one of our Whip It Up Wednesday specials. :)



2 comments:

  1. OMG, these are SO CUTE!!!! My hubby and I are OBSESSED with our "son" Griffin the morkie. I am 100% making these! Thanks for sharing! Check out my home decor blog @ decisivedecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your morkie is seriously cute! Let me know what your son thinks of the treats! ;)

      Delete