Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A Date to Donate

Yes, I took myself out for a donating date.  You see, this Thursday (the 24th), I will officially be a quarter of a century old.  The one thing I wanted to do for my birthday this year was donate my hair to Locks of Love.  I have donated twice before and I find it to be such a great cause.  All my life I've been told how beautiful my hair is, so why not give something beautiful that I have to someone who is beautiful and in need?  It breaks my heart to think of all of the children and adults out there who are ill and have no hair.  I cannot imagine the pain those individuals go through on a daily basis.  If my hair can be made into a wig for someone to wear, then by golly I'm going to do it.

I thought it would be fun to share my previous donation pictures before my current one.  Here's a little back story to my first trip to donate.  Ever since I was a little girl, I've had seriously long hair.  I'm pretty sure there were a few years when my hair quite literally touched my behind.  My parents always took me to get my hair trimmed, but never allowed me to get it cut off.  The older I got, the more I'd beg my parents to let me get it cut off the way I wanted to.  I hated how hot I'd get in the summer with my long, thick hair.  I'd sweat, my hair would get frizzy, and then I'd always look like a hot mess.  Well finally my parents made me a promise after hearing me complain for 8 years straight.  They told me, "Mary, you can get your hair cut off however you want on your 18th birthday."  It seemed like FOREVER before that birthday came, but when it did, I was SO HAPPY!  Here are some pictures from that day:




It is hard to believe that 7 years ago, I donated my hair for the first time.  After this year (2007), I continued to get my hair trimmed, but couldn't quite work up the urge to cut it off again.  That is until last June.  I got the "donating itch" again. Here's a before picture from last year:


All of those years letting it grow back out, and it was almost down to my behind just like when I was a kid!  Crazy!  Here's the picture I took after donating my hair the second time:


Believe it or not, it was still long even after cutting 10 inches off! Unfortunately I didn't let my hair grow as long this time around.  I thought it was time for a change.  This morning I didn't think twice about going and getting it cut.  How can you back out when all you can think about is the smile on a child's (or an adult's) face when they put on the wig made with your hair?  Without further ado, I present to you a before and after of my current do:


I forgot to take a before shot of myself, so I had to find a picture that was current.  This picture is from the end of last month.  Here's my after shot!!!!


And here's me excitedly showing off my pigtails that will be sent to Locks of Love:


I'm still in shock at how short my hair is.  This is the shortest it has ever been and I am SO pleased with it!  I'm in donating heaven!  :)


Have you ever donated your hair?  How long was it before you cut it?  Have pictures?  Show us!!! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment